Friday, 13 November 2009

Masta Ace & Edo G. Interview at Metal Lungies

I had the opportunity to interview with Edo G. and Masta Ace earlier this week for Metal Lungies. I haven’t heard the whole A&E album yet, but “Ei8ht Is Enough” is bananas, especially Edo’s second verse:

I can understand an ocean by looking at a raindrop/we everywhere, you in the same spot/I’ma make so you rappers never ever name drop

You can read the whole interview by clicking the excerpt below. This part of the conversation really stuck out to me:

What does it mean to be a rapper past the age of 30 in a genre that fetishizes youth so strongly?
MA: For me, I definitely understand the obsession with youth but I think it’s something hip-hop has to get over. It’s new territory, rappers turning 40 and plus. People don’t know how to handle or deal with it. What they’ve been used to doing is just ignoring dudes. In the past, the rappers from the 70s that got old, they just kinda disappeared because they weren’t part of the new industry. Which was high record sales, big budget videos. They missed that whole era. A lot of them disappeared because they weren’t that visible. They didn’t come up in the video era. People knew their records but they didn’t have that visual to go with it. Edo and I came up in the video era where people know what we look like. We’ve had videos all over the television. For the first time, we’re starting to reach that age where people want us to disappear. We refuse to crawl under a rock. We feel like we’ve still got something to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lijit Search