Sunday, 2 November 2008

Black Milk Interview At Metal Lungies

 

This is a few days old, but I'm still really happy with the way it came out.

ML: Caltroit is just one of the collaborative albums you’ve done this year. You did The Set Up with Fat Ray and almost all of Elzhi’s album The Preface. How do you approach doing an album with one emcee with you producing it, as opposed to placing one or two tracks on someone’s album? What’s the collaborative process like for you?

BM: When I’m doing beat CDs, there’s really no set sound or certain direction I’m going for when I’m creating music. It’s really the first thing I hear off a record that I like, that I’ll chop up. Whatever the genre of music I’m sampling from. When I’m working with an artist, like the Fat Ray project or working with Elzhi, when I can actually get in the studio with these dudes and you know, get ideas from them, give them ideas from what I’m hearing about what the project should sound like, that’s different. That’s what I prefer anyway. I’d rather sit in a studio with an artist and do my job as a producer, and produce the track than just email in 10, 15 beats off to somebody. They might [laughs] do something you really want with the track, every now and again it might happen with a track. But I’d rather be in a studio with an artist.

Read the whole interview here.

3 comments:

  1. completely unrelated to the post, but dope to see you writing. I ran in Adam a few weeks back, and asked about you. Do you even remember when I came up with Dan? Dunno if you're responsible, but someone over at HHIR added one of my freestyles to the mix. Thanks. Stay up. 1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Shake!
    Nah man, I don't recall us meeting, but my memory is pretty shitty. Was it a while ago?
    You worked with Dan's guy Mo$$, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Lijit Search