Friday, 26 September 2008

The RZA Beat Drop

(photo by Beth Fladung)

The RZA Beat Drop went up yesterday at my main writing spot, Metal Lungies., Special guest this time around: DJ Eclipse, Statik Selektah, Aeon and 88-Keys.

My picks were "Bring The Pain" (Method Man), "Wu-Tang Clan Ain't Nothin' To Fuck Wit", "Gold" (GZA), "Guillotine (Swords)" (Raekwon), "Run" (Ghostface) and "Rock Steady" (Tony Touch ft.Method Man, Raekwon & U-God).

Here's an excerpt from my writeup for Raekwon's "Guillotine (Swords)". Click it to read the whole thing:

“Poisonous… poisonous…” From the moment you hear the kung-fu sound effects, the beat grabs you and shakes you. Pounding, repetitive drums are accompanied by ominous, minor key strings. No hook, no bullshit, and it sounds like the soundtrack to filmed assassination. I love the way the looped strings vibrate and hang on the last note for a few extra seconds. Also, how could I not pick a song where Ghost says, “My career is based on guns, throwin’ cats in wheelchairs”?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lijit Search