Wednesday, 7 March 2007

Spike Jonze's Music Videos

I went a bit of a binge the other night.
I sat and watched Spike Jonze music videos for about an hour on Monday when I was supposed to be working.
As much as I like some of his movies (Adaptation didn't really click with me, but Being John Malkovich was intriguely bizarre.
Jonze suffers from a problem I think a lot of music video director-turned-movie directors suffer from. (I make no excuses for McG, however. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McG)
Their ideas are brilliantly creative and delightful in the framing of a short-form music video, but feel strained and willfully quirky over the course of an entire movie.
Michel Gondry is another example of this, as well. I enjoyed Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, but the whole thing would have worked better as a short film.
But enough criticism. Watch Jonze's video for Biggie's "Sky's The Limit".
It's a brilliant take on Bugsy Malone but for the rap community. The attention to detail is astounding: one scene shows Puffy (now Diddy, of course) watching a preschool aged Busta Rhymes's music video.
Also: predates the vid for Three Six Mafia's "Poppin' My Collar" by several years!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Lijit Search